Saturday, January 2, 2016

Review: The Heart-Led Leader by Tommy Spaulding



I have read leadership books that have educated me, that have energized me. I have never read a leadership book that has made me cry. Until today. The Heart-Led Leader by Tommy Spaulding is the culprit.  Reading about high powered, successful leaders, such as Grove Norwood, who make a difference in the lives of their employees and those around them is such an inspiration. 

I am currently in a work situation where the leaders of the organization are doing good things for the people they serve, but they do it for the wrong reasons – to put their names in journals, to pad their resumes, etc.  This ultimately is a disservice to the community. A lot of money is being spent to make changes the leaders want, not what will be the best for that community. They aren’t invested in the community since they don’t plan to stay. This makes me sad. What I take from Spaulding’s book is that not only is it okay to treat your staff compassionately, it’s desirable. It doesn’t make you a soft leader – it makes your staff want to work that much harder for you. I totally get that. As he says, “Success is about building hearts, not resumes.”


I highly recommend this book to all leaders: heads of organizations, scout leaders, students.  Everyone can benefit from The Heart-Led Leader.  I’ll be passing this book along to my supervisor, who is the leader I want to be most like. 

I received a copy from Blogging for Books in order to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment